A little bit about Heather Draper, Founder and Creative Director of The Heather Company, in her own words:
- I am well known for wearing “Heather shoes”. Inappropriately high heels for construction sites and long days on a retail sales floor. Though I am quite proud of my ability to teeter around a muddy site in heels, at 5’2″ they are more of a need than a want
- I love all aspects of interior design, sometimes cabinetry is my favourite, sometimes lighting, sometimes fabric…really what I love is helping people create their dream home!
- I have an identical twin! Yep…she looks just like me. She may not be a great designer (I am dying to get my hands on her house!), but she makes perfect babies & is the reason I am always dressed so well!
- I have a deep rooted appreciation for “real”, which to me means, anything naturally occurring as opposed to man made. If you are one of my design clients you will find me touting the virtues of wool carpeting, and if you frequent The Heather Company boutiques you will notice an abundance of Linen!
- I love boutiques! There is just something about the bells on the doors….the little treasures…the one of a kind items…which is likely why I am always torn between working the sales floor and interior design…how is a girl to choose!
- I am a foodie in training. It is one of those elements of a well lived life I dream of mastering. To be honest, I still dream of growing up to be Martha Stewart…with a little Sarah Richardson thrown in for good measure…and dash of Charlize Theron..you know..for the height
- I am honest, outgoing and direct, sometimes to a fault. In contrast, I am incredibly eager, boundlessly creative and hopelessly passionate about design. Most people take the good with the bad
Heather has spent over ten years owning/working in home decor boutiques & working as an interior designer. In that time, Heather has often come up against the need to find lovely pillows… bedding…. drapes… furnishings…. etc….etc…
However Heather was never was able to find it all in one place , without running the risk of the client’s home looking like a catalog page. Bleck!
What is a girl to do?
Well, create the solution of course…And so The Heather Company Collection was born!
Heather sources fabric from mills around the world, culls through more than 500 fabrics and builds the collection with 3 key goals:
- Ensure there is something for everyone, and be the cure to the “I can’t find the perfect fabric blues”
- To create a collection that can be combined in numerous ways, any one fabric can be taken from cottage to loft, bedroom to media room, Jazzy to serene. So when one finds the perfect fabric there is no “I don’t know what to put it with” ( We Do!!!)
- Follow Heather’s belief that good design relies on a solid base that is built upon over time. The collection is not fleeting, we love our prints too much to abandon them in a few months! So build with confidence!! we will always have a few beautiful things that you can add over time to create your dream room
The Heather Company Chain of Boutiques combined with our network of Stockists is the best way to fall completely in love with the colors, prints and quality of the collection.
The boutiques also showcase:
- STUNNING (and we mean STUNNING!) furnishings made, often just for us, by some of Canada’s most exclusive furniture manufacturers. Heather believes many shoppers know what they like when they see it, and has pulled from HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of fabrics to offer a concise upholstery fabric gallery that promises to have the perfect fabrics without the overwhelming filler…and of course our lovely staff are there should you need a little extra help
- In addition to STUNNING furnishings, we also carry a beautiful assortment of lighting, including that PERFECT yet elusive table lamp, artistic imagery with an assortment of framing & size options to fill your walls, and little treasures Heather has thrown in for good measure.
- Commitment to quality is PARAMOUNT to Heather and our suppliers deliver in SPADES!!
I believe great design does not overwhelm, but speaks softly, to those who choose to listen.
After having completed our second home with Heather (new construction and most recently renovation) we are thrilled to report that her ability to translate our vision into reality was truly exceptional! Heather was extremely adept at understanding our style and translating it into beautiful design while maintaining form & function for a busy family. Heather brings a grounded & positive approach to design challenges. Her unique ability to credibly communicate with everyone involved and present sound solutions sets her apart in the industry. After selling our last home in 48 hours, we view working with Heather as a wise investment. We call this “The Heather Effect!!”
J&A Mckee – Calgary, AB